Did you know that some fruits have slimming properties: stimulating the body to burn fat, supporting body cleaning from toxins and digesting? Fruits supporting slimming include prickly pear, grapefruit, pineapple and papaya.
Most fruits have a lot of calories, and a high glycemic index (they are a source of simple sugars), so unlike vegetables, you can’t eat them without restrictions. The latest pyramid of healthy eating and physical activity recommends that vegetables and fruit constitute at least half of our daily food, of which we ¾ fill with vegetables and only ¼ of fruit.
The most caloric fruits include: bananas, grapes, dates, pomegranates, pears, kiwi, prunes and figs. People on a diet are more likely to reach for watermelons, melons, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries – these fruits have the least calories. There are also fruits that, thanks to their unique properties – regardless of calories – support weight loss and are indicated in slimming diets. These include: prickly pear, grapefruit, papaya and pineapple.
1. Prickly pear – suppresses hunger
Prickly pear is the fruit of this cactus which suppresses hunger, reduces fat absorption and has a detoxifying effect. In Mexico, where this prickly pear is cultivated, it finds application in wound covering, treating gastrointestinal complaints, and lowering blood glucose levels in diabetics. Fruits can be eaten raw, processed, make juice, are also a component of teas. The extract from them is in slimming supplements.
2. Grapefruit – stimulates fat burning
In addition to being a refreshing fruit rich in vitamins and minerals, grapefruit also has slimming properties. It stimulates fat burning, improves metabolism, and thanks to the pectin content, improves bowel function, regulates carbohydrate and fat metabolism, and helps remove toxins. The advantage of grapefruit is also that it has a low glycemic index – after eating it sugar is released gradually, which prevents hunger attacks.
3. Papaya – helps remove toxins
Papaya owes its slimming effect to papain. It is an enzyme that improves the digestive process, accelerates the burning of proteins and fat. It also helps cleanse the body of toxins. Papaya, thanks to its beneficial effects on the digestive system, will also help with flatulence, constipation or hyperacid.
4. Pineapple – improves digestion
The enzyme bromelin (bromelain) contained in the pineapple breaks down the protein, and thus improves digestion. Additionally, it works great with problems with cellulite, because bromelain treats inflammation, and thus helps to remove cellulite tissue. There is also a lot of fiber in pineapple that regulates bowel function. Beneficial effects (and fewer calories) are fresh fruit, and not canned ones.
Good to know
Nutrients supporting weight loss
- Fiber – this fiber is found in every product of plant origin. It absorbs water and swells in the stomach, making you feel full, but it doesn’t provide calories. It also accelerates intestinal peristalsis, thanks to which it regulates bowel movements. For this, it prevents the accumulation of fat in the body and helps cleanse it of toxic waste products. Fiber sources are bran, whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
- Calcium – numerous studies show that this element supports weight loss and prevents weight gain. Accelerates fat burning, reduces appetite, and also binds fats in the digestive tract and allows you to get rid of them from the body. The best source of calcium is milk and its products.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – research shows that they improve metabolic processes and reduce appetite (satisfy hunger as well as fiber). The best sources of omega-3 fatty acids are fatty marine fish, rapeseed oil, and linseed.
- Chromium – regulates blood sugar levels, thanks to which it suppresses the appetite for sweets. It also reduces fat storage. You will find it in yeast, nuts, wheat germ, cereal grains.