Under the stress, the consumption of serotonin responsible for our good mood increases. That is why it is worth eating products that help to replenish its deficiencies. Also you must remember about vitamins and minerals that strengthen the nervous system.
When you feel irritable or apathetic, it’s a sign that your brain is hungry. It has been proven that it does not function without the right dose of glucose. When well nourished, it works efficiently, produces serotonin, a neurotransmitter found in every cell in the nervous system. It is serotonin that is responsible for our mood, resistance to fatigue and pain. So we need to feed our brain well, and they serve it best:
- complex carbohydrates – allow you to maintain blood glucose at an appropriate level. Then the brain works efficiently and produces the necessary amount of serotonin. So let’s eat vegetables, whole grain bread, rice, cereals and pasta made of wheat durum.
- B vitamins – relieve tension, help fight fatigue. We also know that they participate (mainly vitamin B6) in the synthesis of serotonin. We find them in yeast, cereal products, offal, fish, dark bread, sprouts and green vegetables.
- magnesium – participates in maintaining the proper tension in nerve cells. Its good sources are grain products, seeds, nuts, green vegetables. It is best absorbed in the presence of calcium and vitamin B6.
- calcium – regulate nerves response and affects the level of female hormones, which also determine the well-being of a woman. It occurs in milk and its products
Your serotonin levels will also be raised by eating foods that contain tryptophan, an amino acid your body converts into serotonin. They include, among others fish (especially halibut), pumpkin and sunflower seeds, eggs, avocados and bananas.
- Red meat and fatty foods, because they stay in the stomach and cause fatigue.
- Strong coffee, tea and alcohol because they destroy vitamin. from group B.
- Sweets (except cocoa and chocolate) – because they cause spikes in blood glucose levels, and this promotes mood swings.
You must do it
When you experience a sudden deterioration of your mood, eat a banana or a piece of hard chocolate. Carbohydrates contained in bananas will provide cells with the necessary energy and vitamins, including many from B group. Chocolate stimulates the secretion of serotonin, causes a feeling of satisfaction, and provides energy.